Sunday, July 5, 2009

Just Because Something Is Recycled, Doesn't Make It Green

I was just reading this article on Fast Company's website discussing "green" bikinis, it is after all the bikini's 63 birthday today. I put green in quotes because I don't actually believe anything about spending $100 on a tiny scrap of material is green. I mean I am no tree-hugger, but I do think sustainability is crucial and I don't think recycling is the key to living a sustainable lifestyle. I think that excessive consumption, much more than unwise resource choices, have landed us in the position we are in now. If fashion houses truly want to be green they should try to create long lasting pieces and eliminate short lived trends.

Obviously if you are going to buy it is better to buy something that was made responsibly, I just hope these pieces have also been made to last.

No comments: